Updated: Nov 28, 2019
Helloooo and Happy Friday, beautiful people! 😄
This post will be short and sweet, just like this recipe: my Mix 'n Match Muffins!
I use the word "recipe" very loosely, because as long as there are a couple of basic components in these you can pretty much pick and choose and add whatever you like to suit your personal taste and preferences! These really are fantastic for a lot of reasons: they're super-delicious, you can pack them full of nutrients, they store and carry really well, and like I said - you can make them as sweet/salty/light/dense/whatever you like 👌😁 Healthy foods do not have to be bland, boring, or yucky - it's all about figuring out nutrient-dense options that you enjoy!
So without further ado, let's get into the basics of what you'll need to get the base for these bad boys:
Ingredients (Makes 6 muffins)
250g carby vegetable or fruit of your choice
64g (about 2 scoops) of a protein powder of your choice
50g oat flour
200ml low-fat milk (or any milk you prefer)
1tsp baking soda
Spray n Cook
That's literally IT! Once you have these 4 ingredients mixed together, the possibilities of what else you choose to add are endless! Nut butter, whole nuts, cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, raisins or other dried fruit, chocolate chips, blueberries, honey, vanilla essence, caramel essence...I could go and on and on, but you get the idea lol...some examples of what I like to use in mine:
250g carby veg or fruit: I love using sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut, pumpkin, or bananas
64g protein powder: I'm a fan of NPL or USN whey protein powders. There are SO many delicious options to choose from, but I'm a particularly huge fan of anything cookie-dough, chocolate, or peanut butter flavored 😍😋
50g flour - I like brown or oat flour, but I've also tried cake flour and those were DELISH!
Then my go-to additions are peanut butter, cinnamon, raisins (any other raisin-lovers out there?), cocoa powder, a little bit of sweetener, and vanilla or caramel essence.
1. Cook carrots/butternut/sweet potato/veg of choice in boiling water until soft.
2. Pre-heat oven to 180 C/ 350 F
3. Lightly spray the muffin pan with Spray n Cook (or you can brush it with coconut oil or butter, if that's easier for you).
4. Mix together your protein powder, flour, baking soda, and spices of your choosing.
5. Add pre-cooked veggies (or NOT pre-cooked bananas lol 😄) to dry ingredients with a little bit of boiling water and the 200ml milk. Blend until smooth (or chunky if you prefer - this is all suited to your taste!)
6. Mix in your add-on ingredients.
7. Spoon your mixture evenly into the muffin pan and whack into the oven.
8. Leave to bake for 15-20 minutes, then take pan out of oven and leave to cool down.
9. Make yourself a cup of tea or coffee, grab a muffin or 2, and ENJOY!
And voila, there you have it!
Let me know how these turn out, and please let me know what other ingredients you decide to play around with!
Love you all, and don't forget that you're fearfully and wonderfully made!
Ciao for now 😁💕